Monday 28 January 2013

Life is beautiful...

Yesterday evening, I did something that was long overdue:

I finally watched La vita é bella.

I'd wanted to see the film for ages, but had never got round to it. So, when it was broadcast on TV last night I turned on the subtitles (in Italian though, just for a bit of extra help!) and got ready to see what all the fuss was about. I'd heard so many great things about this film so I was really keen to find out if all the praise was justified.


I was well and truly lost for words when the end credits came on.

I had had my first bout of tears about halfway through, and they made a couple more appearances as the film went on. I didn't think it was possible, but this story is truly heartwarming and utterly heartbreaking all at the same time. By the end of it, I didn't know what emotion I should be feeling! I can say two things for sure though: the first, is that Benigni is simply wonderful. And the second? Everyone should watch this film. It deserved all its Oscars and more besides.

Have you seen any great (Italian?) films lately?

4 comments:

  1. Oh I absolutely love this film, balled crying when I watched it. Have you seen "Io non ho paura"? I read the book first and then saw the film, really really enjoyed it. Also if you've not seen "Ladri di biciclette", it's a great old film from the late 40's, along with "Roma, città aperta"! I love old, Italian neorealism films, just gorgeous!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks for the recommendations Odette! I'll check them out! :D

      Delete
  2. I can't believe you have only just recently seen this - it's such a truly wonderful movie! I was sobbing away, even after the credits were well and truly over, thinking of just how wonderful he was as a father.
    Glad that you were able to enjoy it - better late than never! :)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I know- I waited far too long to see it! It really was an incredibly touching film!

      Delete